Sunday, January 3, 2010

A Reason to Power through the Drudgery of the Gym, Charity

Last month, I mentioned on this blog that I was going to get serious about getting fit again. Thank you for all of the words of encouragement and support!

While I hate working out, I love charity, which is why, inspired by Christine’s comments, when I saw the flyer at the gym asking for volunteers for Cycle for Survival, I signed up.

Cycle for Survival is a worldwide team indoor cycling event supporting cancer research at Memorial Sloan-Kettering for rare and under-funded cancers. It’s a great cause.

This is how it works...

The event is either held through Equinox in NYC and Chicago or through satellite gyms with a fairly simple structure: relay-style team ride marathons lasting 4 hours. The fundraising very similar to how marathons or charity walks are organized, relying on sponsorships and charitable donations giving support.

My new motivation? Be in good enough shape to not keel over and die over the course of the 4 hour event. My gym’s satellite event is scheduled for Sunday, January 31. So, I have roughly 4 weeks to get into shape!

If you would like to get involved with Cycle for Survival, visit their website to find a participating team and location in your area or support my team by donating.

More information on the event is available at Cycle for Survival.